Teacher Appreciation – Mrs. Coppola

For Teacher Appreciation Week, I decided to interview one of my favorite teachers from this year, Mrs.Coppola. Mrs. Coppola started her career as a teacher in 1996 as a leave replacement in the middle school but was offered a position in the high school in 1998, making her a teacher for about 26 years. She teaches multiple art classes including Studio in Art, Advanced Drawing and Painting, and the IB Visual Arts courses. Mrs.Coppola also takes on the responsibility of being an advisor for the freshman class. Even if it is my first year as a high school student, I can confidently say that Mrs.Coppola will leave a lasting effect on my high school career. She has created an atmosphere in her classroom that is comfortable for all students who enter it, bringing a sense of humor and understanding into every moment. Let’s get into the interview!

Q: How has being a high school teacher helped you in your daily life?

A: “Being in the high school makes you feel younger. Being a teacher has helped me throughout the years with my own children and being on top of the now or ‘what’s in.”

Q: What’s one of the best things about being a teacher?

A: “Having students come back and tell you that you’ve made a difference in their life, Whenever you’re feeling down there’s always an e-mail or someone visiting your classroom. I really care for my students and when you get that kindness back it makes it all worthwhile.

Q: What’s one of the most memorable experiences you’ve had as a teacher?

A: “I and Mr.Schaeffler used to play jokes on each other, so one time Mr.Schaeffler thought it would be funny to take my teaching desk and hide it in a closet. When I came into my classroom I had a little student desk, but that day I had a field trip so I got a sub so I just said I didn’t know what to tell her because we didn’t know where my desk was!”

Q: Why did you choose to be an advisor to freshmen?

A: “I don’t know, I just woke up one day and thought this could be it. A lot of things were changing and they needed new advisors and it’s nice being a part of watching the kids grow. I like being with the kids and running the fundraisers.”

Q: What made you want to become a teacher?

A: “The funny thing is, I never wanted to be a teacher. I was very quiet and had little friends, I was the kind of kid that was absent whenever we needed to present something but my mom always told me I should be a teacher. Being a kid who was so shy, I just think it’s funny having to talk in front of a bunch of kids every day.”

Mrs.Coppola’s art classes are a place where even kids who may not consider themselves to be very creative can still find themselves enjoying art. Coming into high school is a very nerve-wracking experience and Mrs.Coppola has just made that experience so much more comfortable for myself and all her other students so for that I truly appreciate her.