Dealing With Stress at the Start of School

What is stress? 

The beginning of school can be very stressful for many students. Stress is a state of mental or emotional strain from demanding situations. Stress can be caused by pressure, facing big changes, and overwhelming responsibilities. It can also stop you from functioning regularly in your daily activity. Going from summer time to the new school year can put a lot of stress on students. It can be hard for students to get back into their school routine and start with school work right away.

Why does school cause so much stress for students? 

School can cause a lot of stress for many different reasons. New classes, routines and teachers can all lead to stress during the school year. Difficult classes can also cause more stress for students. Advanced placement and honors classes require a lot of effort and work and can lead to a more stressful year for some. Relationships with friends can also cause stress for students. Having to meet new friends or losing old friends can be hard for children of all ages. 

How to deal with stress from school 

There are many different ways to deal with stress in and out of school. One way to deal with stress at the start of the school year is to participate in physical activities. Join sports teams or clubs to get yourself moving before or after school! Sports teams are a great way to meet new people, stay active and get your mind off of school. If sports are not your thing, you can also take walks with your family or friends. This can be a great way to relax and not worry about school responsibilities. Another way to deal with stress during school is to find trusted listeners. When school can get overwhelming it is a good idea to talk to someone about what you are worrying about. It can be a parent, friend, teacher, coach or anyone you feel comfortable talking to. This can help you to recognize your emotions and learn to work through them. Another way to deal with stress is to do yoga or meditation. This can help you to get moving and work through your stress. Meditation can help you to work through stressful situations and help you to learn breathing techniques.  

Dealing with stress while at school 

Dealing with stress from school can be very difficult at times. There are also many ways to deal with stress while you are at school. One thing you can do is breathing exercises. This is something you can easily do at your desk while you are in school. Another thing you can do is try to participate in physical activities during the day. If you take physical education, that is a good way to get your body moving and to focus on something other than school work. One last way to relax yourself during your school day is to listen to music. It can be any type of music that you like or just calming music. This is something good to do during lunch or free periods to help yourself calm down and focus on being present in the moment.