Brandon Blanco’s Letter to a Freshman

Dear Freshie,

Don’t get me wrong, but you will love and hate high school. It’s the worst. It’s not like a high school musical, but trust me. Yes; you do have your social groups that never change, but you don’t need to be the most athletic, the most popular. If someone is focusing on that, it’s the dumbest thing you can do. During this time period, it’s great to focus on yourself and discover the person you are no matter what anyone or society tells you. Also don’t procrastinate when it comes to school. Yes, I know we all get lazy, but trust me, it’s so much better when you complete that work and you don’t have to stress yourself out at the last minute.  Also don’t be annoying by screaming at 7:30 am. Some of us (mostly all of us) are sleep deprived and are dying inside and don’t want to hear you screaming at the top of your lungs. When you don’t agree with a teacher or a principal on something due to a school policy don’t hesitate to stand up for yourself and what you believe in. You actually have more power than you think.  Also find your favorite people and befriend them because the next four years will be a living hell without good friends. Your friends should help you go through all the trials and tribulations that high school has in store for you. Although I hated high school, it’s really a huge developing point in my life, and it taught me to become confident and to stand up for myself, and those are essential skills to me. I promise it isn’t as scary as it seems.

Good luck-

Brandan Blanco (Class of 2022)